You’ve probably heard about the #25LbTurkeyChallenge on social media. If not, quick recap: Ask your mom how long does it take to microwave a turkey!
Well, the gang at Butterball are now saying it’s not a joke… You can microwave a turkey, and they’ve shared the step-by-step directions
How to Microwave a Turkey (according to Butterball):
- Thaw the turkey first.
- Place the turkey breast side down on a microwave-safe dish or plate.
- Microwave it for four minutes per pound on full power (for example, 36 minutes for a nine-pound turkey) to get the cooking process started. After the initial cook time, the rest of the cooking needs to be on a lower power setting.
- Remove the drippings and baste the partially-cooked turkey so it begins to get that golden-brown skin.
- Flip the turkey over and cook it at 50 percent power for eight minutes per pound (72 minutes total). Stop cooking every 18 minutes to check the turkey’s temperature with a meat thermometer and baste it with the natural juices or a browning sauce.
- When the turkey reaches a temperature of 180 to 185 degrees in the thigh and 170 to 175 degrees in the breast, it is ready.
- Baste the turkey once more before serving.
If you try this, let us know how it turned out 🙂