Columbus firefighters say an unattended candle sparked a fire early this morning.

The incident happened at about 1:51 a.m., when firefighters were called to a home in the 1000 block of Cottage Avenue, says Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the fire department.

An adult was awoken by a sound of their toddler crying and noticed thick black smoke throughout the rental home. The family of two adults and the toddler escaped the and called 911.

Firefighters crawled through the thick smoke to extinguish the fire, Wilson says. The smoke caused damage throughout the house while the fire was contained to one bedroom. He said investigators estimate about $40,000 in damage was caused to the home and contents.

No working smoke detectors were found in the home. No one was injured.